"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."
"There is nothing new under the sun." Therefore, all the Christian needs to protect him from modern systems of an evil character is a better acquaintance with the Word of God, where the truth is taught in its purity and the lies of the adversary are brought out into the light and fully exposed. (H.A. Ironside)
N.J. Hiebert - 4384
"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."
It is not merely a question of thirst and poverty, but actually of scarlet sins - guilt of crimson dye. Even these need be no hindrance, seeing that God in His infinite grace has found a means whereby He can righteously cleanse the guilt and blot out the sins, and render the soul of the poor guilty sinner as white as snow, as the wool just pure from the washing.
Mark the grace that shines in the words, "Come now, and let us reason together." Only think of the high and mighty One that inhabits eternity - the Maker of heaven and earth - the Creator and sustainer of the universe - the One who has power to destroy both soul and body in hell - think of His condescending to reason with a poor guilty sinner, covered from head to foot with scarlet sins! What grace is here! What loving-kindness and tender mercy! Who can withstand it? Who can refuse to come? Who will harden his heart against such love as this?
God grant the reader may not do so! Oh! that he may come now and trust in the perfect, because divine, efficacy of that most precious blood - even the blood of God's own Son, which cleanses from all sin, and makes the soul clean enough to stand in the full blaze of the holiness of God. (Christian Truth - Vol. 23 - September 1970)
N.J. Hiebert - 4385
"Thou shalt eat bread at my table continually."
(2 Samuel 9:7)
"When the hour was come, He sat down and the twelve apostles with Him."
Mephibosheth, in spite of a deformity caused by a fall, was invited by the king to enjoy the abundance of his table. Today the honour bestowed upon us is greater than his. As the redeemed of the Lord, we are invited to join our Lord at His freshly spread table to break the bread and drink the wine. May we enjoy this feast and His presence today. It may be our last this side of the Glory. (Arnot P. McIntee)
N.J. Hiebert - 4386
"Christ is all and in all." (Colossians 3:11)
- We can get life and happiness only in Christ.
Apart from Him, all is death and misery.
- There is nothing real, nothing solid, nothing satisfying , but in Christ
- Either Christ's atoning sacrifice is sufficient, or it is not; if it is sufficient, why those doubts and fears?
(Food for the Desert)
N.J. Hiebert - 4387
"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want."
- The greatness of the Shepherd - "the Lord";
- The certainty of His shepherdhood - "is";
- The personal nature of the shepherdhood - "My shepherd;"
- What shepherhood includes - food, protection, etc.
- He who calls the muster roll of the stars, and reigns over a million worlds,
Cares for me, and,
- Never once is oblivious of me, so small, so feeble, so unwise.
- His shepherd-care extends over all time
- Embraces every dispensation
- Supplies every want
- Anticipates every emergency
- Comprehends every believer from the beginning to the end of the world -
- And shall everlastingly secure the safety and the happiness of every member of the flock.
- In strength He is almighty;
- In wisdom omniscient;
- In love unequalled; and
- In resources unbounded.
(In Pastures Green - George Henderson)
N.J. Hiebert - 4388